Thursday, February 13, 2014

quilts for sale

Our money and time are finite, but right now, I seem to have more time on my hands than I do extra money in my bank account, so I'm going to offer quilts for sale to help us get our child home.

Before I get into the pricing, please understand a few things.  Handmade quilts are extremely expensive and I'm offering a quilt for sale at an extreme discount.  I know many of you will probably gasp at the prices below, but believe me, it's a steal.  If I were truly doing this as a full-time job, the quilt would easily cost 2-3 times more.  Materials comprise 50-70% of the overall cost of the quilt -- and I will essentially be working for well less than minimum wage.

The benefit though?  You get a semi-customizable quilt and you help a child find their family.

The Details

There will only be one style of quilt in four different options.  Lap size is approximately 57"x75" and baby/child size is approximately 48"x57".

This is the quilt pattern:

Baby/child size
 
 
Lap size, using vintage fabrics (which aren't an option here)


Lap Size ($225) or Baby/Child Size ($160)
  • You choose the color palette of 2-3 colors.
  • I will choose some fabric options for you, which I will ask you to approve.
  • Here are some websites/shops I frequent, just so you can get an idea of what types of fabrics you might see in a quilt:  Stitch Stash Diva, Bella Fabrics, The Little Fabric Shop, and my favorite local quilt shop, Crimson Tate.

Custom Lap Size ($135+) or Baby/Child Size ($110+)
  • I will provide you with a fabric list and you provide all the fabric OR you can request special fabrics where I will pick out the fabric myself (i.e. Colts, Disney, etc.)
  • The prices above are a starting price only.  This includes the batting, binding, thread, and other materials needed to complete a quilt.  The front and back fabric is not included in this price.


Other Notes
  • The quilt sizes listed above come straight from the pattern, which includes a border I do not include.  So, the actual quilt size will be slightly smaller than what's listed.  (I never thought to measure the quilts pictured above, but was quite happy with the smaller size.)
  • I use a natural batting in my quilts.  It is a thin batting which makes for easier quilting, and I find that it makes for a good all-seasons quilt.
  • I would request 6 weeks to complete a quilt, however unless I'm bombarded with quilt requests, I do not anticipate it would actually take me the full 6 weeks to complete the quilt.  If I do not think I can get your order done in 6 weeks, I will be sure to communicate this with you as soon as possible.
  • Payment for the materials - the amount will depend on the type of quilt you order - will be due upfront and is non-refundable.  The remaining costs will be due upon delivery.
  • If you are unhappy with your finished quilt, we'll work together to resolve the issues.
  • Prices do not include shipping.

Interested?  Contact me at mollykwhitehead @ gmail.com to start the discussion!
 

No comments: