Thursday, March 13, 2014

home study #2

We had our second home study today, meeting at the agency again.  I think most people probably stress the most about the actual home visit, but I was stressing out a bit about this one more, as today was our day for separate interviews.  And, thank goodness, our answers were the same.  Whew.  Today's questions were mostly about our childhoods and adult personalities:
  • Strengths/weaknesses in areas such as self-esteem, adaptability, responsibility, anger, etc.
  • Problems we experience/have experienced personally or as a couple, i.e. drugs, money management, education, work, family problems, etc.  (Oh, and we haven't struggled with drugs, period.  It's just one of the issues we do have to discuss.)
  • Interests, activities
  • Descriptions of our parents.  Don't worry, mom & dad.  I said all good things.  I also said I'm more like my dad than mom (you're welcome, mom).
  • How we were disciplined as children.  I talked about how my dad used to take my door off its hinges.  My parents figured out that this was an effective way of disciplining me.  I'm pretty sure my dad still thinks this is the funniest thing ever.
  • Favorite childhood memories

So pretty much our caseworker is really getting to know us.

Aside from that, here are a few pictures to sum up what else we've been doing:


More adoption paperwork -- financial statements, medical and insurance information, criminal clearance checks, education requirements, etc.
 
Taking part in the #40bagsin40days challenge.  First up was our upstairs closet.  I didn't think I'd have enough junk to fill up a trash bag or even come up with anything to put in our donate pile, but turns out I did.  If you'd like to donate your junk to our adoption garage sale efforts, please, please, please let me know!  We're so low on items (particularly large, big sellers and kids' stuff) that I'm not sure I can hold it next month after all.
 
My cousin, Mindy, came to help me sew for several hours one Saturday.  Can I talk about how awesome this is that a college student who I know has lots of studying to do took the time out of her schedule to help me sew?
 
And, you know, because I don't have anything else to do, I made Ellie a St. Patrick's Day bow.
 
 

1 comment:

Armenda Boyer said...

How could I forget your "no more door" punishment?! I remember laughing about it with your parents, to your dismay, even though I was about 7!! Glad your paperwork is coming along!