Thursday, April 10, 2014

on being grateful & overwhelmed.

This weekend's adoption-funding garage sale has been overwhelming.


It's been overwhelming in the ways you'd expect.  There's all the stuff.  It slowly filled up our future daughter's room.  Then the stuff crept into our living room.  And then it took over two spaces in our garage.  And then more stuff appeared, crammed into a trailer that's now parked in our driveway.  Our junk and everyone else's junk is all over my house and it just overwhelms me to even look at it.


But it's also really, really overwhelming in the good sense.


TWENTY-FOUR individuals or families have donated their junk to our garage sale.  That doesn't include us.  Several of you made the long haul out to our house to drop off your donations.  I've lost track of how many trips my parents or my parents' vehicles made to our house recently to drop off donations.  And there are a few people who donated who I don't even know.  Thank you.


There were a few of you who made the long trip out to our house to drop off just a few items and were apologetic that you didn't have more.  But here's the deal.  (Say it slowly; it'll have more emphasis.)  You made the trip out to our house to drop off a few items.  It probably would have been easier for you to drive to your nearest Goodwill, but you didn't.


If you were one of the ones who did that, you reminded me of the story in Mark 12 about the widow's offering:  "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury.  Many rich people threw in large amounts.  But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.  They gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on.'"


Here's the parallel I'm trying to make (that hopefully makes sense to everyone else).  It's not that anyone who has donated is "rich" or "poor" or hasn't had the right intentions, because you all have.  It's the fact that a few of you gave me what you had, even though it wasn't much, to help us bring our child home.  Thank you.


And then there have been a few people who weren't able to donate any items, but instead sent us a check.  I've been equally as floored by those responses.  Thank you.


I told CJ that even if we didn't make any money this weekend at our garage sale, that it was all worth it.  To be honest, that might not be the full truth -- we kind of need to make some money.  But the thing is, I have learned multiple, huge lessons these past few weeks that I might not have, if it were not for the garage sale.


I've learned to ask for help, even though it can be uncomfortable at times.


I've learned not to underestimate people.  I'm that glass-half-empty sort of person and honestly, I didn't expect this level of outpouring of support.


I've learned that it really does take a village.  This might be the only thing I agree with Hillary on.  If we were to have the garage sale with just our stuff -- and there was a lot of it -- we wouldn't make that much money.  I've tried having my own garage sales and they're generally a waste of my time.  But add in twenty four families' things and that has the potential to make a nice dent in that next adoption payment.


I've learned that God will provide, whether that's in the form of a check or a quilt order or just STUFF.  Just when I thought I was going to have to postpone the garage sale for lack of donations, you all came through in a MAJOR WAY for us.


I've learned that we are loved and that our (unknown) child is loved.  This junk = love.


So whether you've donated your excess items or your time or your money to bring this garage sale to fruition and to bring our child home, we are overwhelmed with gratefulness.


Thank you for showing us God's love.

1 comment:

Colleen S said...

I am thrilled for what God is doing in your lives and how He is preparing you two to be the parents that some child needs. I wish we lived closer and we could share some of our junk/love. :) We're definitely sending prayers.