Monday, July 14, 2014

on asking questions

We've received a few questions about what a special needs adoption is and I suspect many more of you have questions but may be afraid to ask.  I'm open to most any question right now.  Please don't hesitate to ask.  Obviously I don't want to talk adoption 100% of the time, but it's nice to know people are interested.  Plus, part of this process really is about educating others, either just for their own knowledge or because they might be interested in adopting themselves.

That said, when we're matched with a child or children, I'm probably not going to answer as many questions.  One, there will be parts of our child's life that will be her story to tell if she wishes.  Was our child abandoned?  Does she remember her biological family?  That information will remain private, for sure.  If our daughter wants to share that information when she's older and informed, then that's her decision.

I'm not sure where we'll stand on answering questions about our child's health.  On one hand, I don't want to violate my child's privacy.  But on the other hand, I have read many adoption blogs where the parents discuss their child's medical issues within reason.  Those blogs have been a great source of encouragement and learning for me.  Some issues I thought were big turned out to be manageable, at least for those kids.  So if my child's story can help another child find their family, then maybe some information is worth sharing?  I don't know.  I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So.  What questions do you have that you have been too afraid to ask??

No comments: