Saturday, October 15, 2016

Friday: Sightseeing in Beijing

Turns out blogspot is also The Worst. With spotty internet, I don't think I'm going to have the bandwidth to upload pictures of our trip on the blog, not at least until we get home.  So, follow me on facebook as I'm trying to upload photos there (if I'm lucky, I can get up 4 per day).

Back to the trip.

Some of you are probably wondering why we've spent a few days sightseeing instead of just picking up Madeleine.  This part of the trip is actually optional, but we figured there are so very few opportunities we have to travel abroad, we needed to make the most of it.  Further, this provides us with the opportunity to learn more about Madeleine's culture and history, which is incredibly important for us that she know.

Friday, we started out at Tiananamen Square and then the Forbidden City.  I've seen others' pictures of the Forbidden City and everyone has always commented that you have no idea just how large it is. I always thought you all were exaggerating.  It just keeps going...and going...and going...and going some more.

We also had the chance to visit a tea room, hike up to this spot to overlook the Forbiddden City (which we couldn't see because there's too much smog), and watch an acrobatic show.

We were on our own last night, so we ventured out to McDonald's.  We're risk takers all right.  You can order at kiosks, which normally I would have found to be a really great experience (so efficient!), but it was a disaster.  And McDonald's (and Starbucks too) don't take mastercard or visa...super helpful to know that too.  But bonus, the food tastes like how McDonald's used to taste.  Or maybe we were just so hungry we didn't even notice.

More on our Saturday adventures when I can.

No comments: